The Dark Secret and Shame of Tooth Discoloration
If your dark teeth are causing your grief, lighten up with this helpful guide to making your teeth their best and brightest.
The Truth about Tooth Discoloration
If your teeth are dark and discolored, you’re not alone. Millions of people face this problem, so they hide their teeth and hate to smile because they feel less than their best. There are many possible causes for the discoloration of teeth. These are the most frequently found:
- Dark foods, such as beets, blueberries, blackberries, soy sauce, and tomato sauce
- Dark-colored drinks like coffee, tea, cola, juice, and wine
- Untreated dental damage like chips and cracks in teeth
- Trauma to a tooth
- Tobacco use
- Age, since tooth enamel naturally thins over time, which exposes the darker layer of dentin beneath
Solutions for Stained Teeth
Luckily, you don’t have to live with the stress and shame of discolored teeth. There are many treatments today, with options for every level of staining. Ask your dentist to recommend the best treatment for you. These are the most common options:
- In-office, professional tooth whitening to remove all stains in a single, short visit.
- At-home whitening products, which are not as strong as professional whitening, so they offer less dramatic results and take longer to whiten your smile.
- Whitening toothpastes, which can remove very minor stains, but may leave teeth temporarily sensitive.
- Very dark stains may be resistant to whitening, but crowns or veneers can be placed on teeth to cover stains completely.
Tooth discoloration is never pleasant or pretty, so discover how dentists recommend reducing your chance of stains. Try these trusted tactics for avoiding stained teeth:
- Brush and floss your teeth after every meal to keep stains from building up.
- Rinse your mouth with water after enjoying darker foods and beverages.
- Have necessary dental procedures, such as root canals, done immediately since long-term dental damage can lead to the discoloration of teeth.
- Get regular professional dental cleanings to polish away surface stains.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Collingdale, call Gentle Dental of Collingdale today at (484) 427-4663 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Collingdale. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Collingdale, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Collingdale.