4 Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Crown Placement
Dental crowns, or caps, are hollow restorative devices created in the shape of natural teeth. A dental crown is typically crafted in a dental laboratory, but some clinics may be able to create them on site. Various types of dental crowns are used to correct common dental problems in adults’ and children’s teeth. A crown is placed over the entire surface of a tooth to provide a strong chewing surface, and it can restore the normal appearance of a discolored or misshapen tooth. Dental crowns protect teeth that have undergone root canals and teeth with large fillings or fractures.
1. What Materials Are Used to Make Dental Crowns? There are a number of types of dental crowns. They are made from gold and gold alloys, other metal alloys, porcelain, ceramic, zirconia, composite resin, or a combination of materials such as porcelain fused to a metal base.
2. What Is Involved in Crown Placement? Placement of a crown usually requires two office visits, but some clinics can create and place crowns in one day. To prepare a tooth crown placement, the area around the tooth is numbed, so the dentist can easily shape the surfaces of the tooth to allow space for a new crown. Severely damaged teeth may require special techniques to build them up, so they can hold a crown securely. Impressions are taken to ensure the crown’s proper fit and bite, and tooth color is carefully matched. Once the laboratory has finished the crown, the dentist cements it into place over the natural tooth. It is then evaluated and adjusted as needed.
3. How Long Will a Dental Crown Last? With proper oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist in Collingdale, many crowns will last between 15 and 20 years.
4. Will I Need to Undergo a Root Canal? Root canals are not required to place a crown, but all teeth that have undergone root canal treatment should be crowned.
Questions to Ask Your Dentist About Your New Dental Crown
- Are there alternative treatment options?
- What material should I choose for my new crown?
- How much will my crown cost?
- How much will my insurance cover?
- Will there be any special care instructions?
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Collingdale, call Gentle Dental of Collingdale today at (484) 427-4663 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Collingdale. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Collingdale, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Collingdale.